[User Guide] Running BllocDesk or Ratio Tool on Linux (Working)

Hey!

I have a way to get BllocDesk running on Linux, which works to install it on your phone! Note: this isn’t an official way, it’s just something that I found to work.

Huge thanks to @szymex73 for pointing me in the right direction.

Anyway, this is how you do it:

1. Install electron (get it through npm or your package manager) and [dmg2dir](https://github.com/X0rg/dmg2dir)
  2. Download the BllocDesk MacOS .dmg file which you would’ve received a link to in an email with your invitation code
  3. Open a terminal in the directory of the .dmg file, and run dmg2dir BllocDesk.dmg
  4. cd into the directory created by dmg2dir (likely BllocDesk/)
  5. From here, navigate to BllocDesk\ 0.x.x/BllocDesk.app/Contents/Resources
  6. In this folder there should be an app.asar file. Run it with electron, using electron app.asar
  7. And that should be it! BllocDesk should open, and the install process will work as expected when installing on a phone! It will connect to the phone over WiFi afterwards, and all the syncing and everything works as it should!

Note: This won’t bundle it into an ‘app’ for Linux. You’ll need to put in some extra work to get it showing up with an icon in the task bar, or to run it from an application manager without using the terminal, but it should be enough to get you started!

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Great work! I will try that as soon as I can!
Hopefully there will be a native Linux version as soon as possible to get more people to use it on Linux.

3 Likes

Thank you for this!

I had some trouble installing electron as a global service…

I kept getting a “ELIFECYCLE” error, which according to their troubleshooting is some kind of network timeout. So the work around is to install electron with the command:

sudo npm install electron -g --unsafe-perm=true

Once I did this, the rest was a breeze.

2 Likes

I’m running Linux. Don’t have enough power to VM a windows or mac one. Are there any plans for a Linux release?

2 Likes

@Spektrum_light here is a guide on how to successfully do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
I am Linux user and does not have any access to Windows or Mac hence not able to install pro version. I believe some if you might be facing some problem. Please comment down the alternative installation methods of blloc desktop on Ubuntu if there is any

@BllocTeam it would be really great if you could provide the linux installation support along with mac and windows.

1 Like

@lordmacrolle Here is the guide from another user :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did the same thing but with the Windows installer. Here’s a PKGBUILD for Arch-based distros.

7 Likes

what should I write in terminal to run it?

1 Like

Literally just electron app.asar. Make sure that electron installed though

1 Like

Thank you for this! I use Manjaro and this was very helpful. I was just wondering though, do all of the features work for you, like photo and notes syncing?

2 Likes

In my version most of the features do work. Photo syncing, note syncing, the file browser and the actual installer all worked without a hitch.
The only things that didn’t work out of the box was The autostart at login and having an icon to pin to the task bar, both of which wouldn’t take much work to do yourself if you needed.

2 Likes

Okay thanks for your input, I had tried your method as well and the same features didn’t work. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, I’ll look into it more later.

1 Like

That’s why I’m using dmg2dir, not dmg2img! :wink:

2 Likes

Is it possible to install Blocc PRO using Wine software???(Linux User)

1 Like

That would be silly as it’s just an Electron app. Unpack the .exe and run the app.asar. See my PKGBUILD above.

1 Like

i saw your solution.am new to linux bro,its confusing in seeing those lol

1 Like

Go to the folder where you app.asar file. Path may look like this - /Downloads/BllocDesk/BllocDesk 0.8.1/BllocDesk.app/Contents/Resources/

• Open terminal from here
  • and type the exact command electron app.asar
  • Done!

Note: Make sure you have downloaded Electron first.

1 Like

If BllocDesk is just an Electron application and it works on Linux, they could release it for Linux without much work. They could just package the electron app in a Linux format and check it’s working.

2 Likes

i installed dmg2dir from github but the terminal shows an error " dmg2dir : command not found"

1 Like