Ratio - feedback

Hi,

I have been using ratio and have some feedback which might (or might not) be useful!

Above all, however, it is a pretty nice launcher!

BUG
Issue Installing Ratio Light (everything ok when installing Ratio Pro)
-Steps:
– Click the download Ratio Light button from the smartphone in the invitation email
– Download and execute
– Open BLLOC services
– Enter the code clicking the menu on the top right corner
– Updates appear and download
– Click install, nothing happens and infinite loop with last step

FEATURE
Swipe up in main screen to open search (including Google Search)

FEATURE
Double tap to change from dark to light

FEATURE
Sun mode, in Android 10 and aboves, toggles on/off the device dark theme (refer to the Android doc for how to do it; it is quite easy).

FEATURE
I havent been able to reorder drawers.

DESIGN
No icon animation in drawer when closing.

FEATURE
Auto-open on tiles screen app search. If only one coincidence, launch automatically. I coded this once in another launcher, i can provide reference via private email/chat if needed (since no “spam” is allowed here, i am not going to give the name publically).

BUG
If you edit an app but don’t click save changes but exit (with go back button), changes are saved but don’t appear immediately.

MIUI 11.0.5.0
Android 10.QKQ1.190825.002
Mi 9T

2 Likes

Hi! Just a fellow Ratio user here. Would like to point out some things that you suggested, which can already be done! (I suppose you didn’t know)

1. Double tap to chg from Dark to Light - you can actually hold down and swipe up from the little Ratio icon at the bottom-right! (Beside the search bar) It’s the top-most feature (It’s called Sun-mode) :slight_smile:

I agree with the Sun mode feature! (I think you mean scheduling of light & dark theme right?)
I disagree with the Google search one though :slightly_frowning_face:, when you have a lot of drawers you need to swipe up too to access the bottom ones.

Hope they fix the bug for the rearranging of your drawers though! You should be able to do so by right.

Cheers!

Hi! Thank’s for your answers.

1. I am aware of it, but suggest a double tap to activate it as a shortcut.
  2. Not just scheduling (which I think will come in future Android updates), but it activating and deactivating Android dark theme. So if you turn sun mode on, Android is set to light theme (in all other apps). If you set sun mode off, Android is set to dark theme (in all other apps). This way the launcher allows for a more consistent dark/light theme across all the device (for Android 10 and above). Refer to the documentation (https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/look-and-feel/darktheme) to see how to use AppCompatDelegate to turn dark theme on/off from an app.
  3. I see your point, and hadn’t thought about it. However, in android, you can have zone swipes. That is, swiping the search bar up opens Google Search (or Qwank or any other). Swiping up from the drawers zone allows you to scroll between drawers.

Cheers and once again, thank’s for your answer!

Oh ok! Sure, if people want something quicker then I guess that’s fine, though they’ll have to use zoning since it’ll share the sleep feature.
I see, you mean system-wide settings, I would love it too! But I think that’s up to Google though :(. Unless other launchers have done it before? Not experienced in this. Never knew there was such a site for developers, really interesting.

Now that you said it, yup would make sense! Maybe the drawer zone would be above the names! OH or just make such that you swipe up over the search bar! Brilliant!

1 Like

Hi!

Okey, nevermind, i didn’t have the sleep feature in mind.

That site for developers is the Android documentation! :slight_smile: Anyway, I am aware of one launcher which does this (which i coded and can’t mention here), so it is 100% possible! If development team needs it, i can provide source code of this feature, bur it is quite simple to implement!

1 Like

Yup that’s a bummer…
Yep I’ll probably go and read the stuff there over the weekend, seems interesting!
Wow really? Can’t imagine how much work it takes to code such a thing. I read through the documentation a little, are you referring to force dark mode? It seems like the only solution possible. Hope they see this!

Not this one! It is the AppCompatDelegate fragment.
AppCompatDelegate.setDefaultNightMode(AppCompatDelegate.MODE_NIGHT_FOLLOW_SYSTEM);

will make current App change theme according to the system.

To change it one must use:

UiModeManager uiManager = (UiModeManager) getSystemService(Context.UI_MODE_SERVICE); uiManager.setNightMode(UiModeManager.MODE_NIGHT_NO); # or MODE_NIGHT_YES.

To get the current system wide theme:
int currentNightMode = getApplicationContext().getResources().getConfiguration().uiMode & Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_MASK;, which will be Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_NO or Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_YES.

But doesn’t that just affect the launcher itself? You’re referring to causing other apps to have dark mode too right? So you need to force apps to follow the theme? On hindsight though, Force Dark mode doesn’t seem to do that too. Maybe force Inversion of Colour?

No, it affects all the system. From Android 10 apps have dark and light themes, and you can select which to view accross the device

I don’t understand how that works? To my knowledge not all Apps in Android 10 support dark mode yet. Like Facebook or GeekBench 5. So to get all apps to be in dark mode you’ll have to force it, which I’m pretty sure the code on top won’t work?

If an app does not still support it, it is shown in light theme even if the android wide thene is set to dark. That’s the expected behaviour and how it works! Idk if im gettung your point

Yep, so how would getting Ratio to be system-wide dark mode help those apps? Isn’t Ratio already have dark mode (technically right? I think I saw it say its just inversion of colour tho) so I don’t see how it would help, because to affect other apps that’s part of your phone settings, not Ratio?

Hi, no! You are cknfused, it is not just an inversion of color. Furthermore, ratio has a dark mode but not following the whole android system way to do that, but this is not that important. The thing is that if you set dark theme jnside the launcher, it would be nice to have it set in all the phone, not just the launcher, to create a more unified experience.

Ohh wait do you mean you want Ratio’s Sun-mode feature to be tied down to the integral settings of Android, so that when we change from e.g. light-mode to dark-mode via the little Ratio icon on the homescreen, it’ll change the system/integral settings of Android as well?

I think if its that yeah its a really great idea, but from the code you sent (I’m not a coder) I only understand that it can follow the system/integral settings of Android for the Theme, not change it?

And so if I remember, you’re telling me its possible to tell Android to change the system theme from the App itself, and that you’ve coded such a thing b4? Its really wow!

yes and yes!! you can change it with the code i provided

Yay! Would like to ask though.

UiModeManager uiManager = (UiModeManager) getSystemService(Context.UI_MODE_SERVICE); uiManager.setNightMode(UiModeManager.MODE_NIGHT_NO); # or MODE_NIGHT_YES .

^^ Is this the code to prompt Android to set Night Mode or not?
And if so what does this code do?:

int currentNightMode = getApplicationContext().getResources().getConfiguration().uiMode & Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_MASK; , which will be Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_NO or Configuration.UI_MODE_NIGHT_YES .

You are right! Second one is to get whether now smartphone is on dark or light mode!

Ooh nice! Thanks!

1 Like