Blloc Ratio and Privacy

I wasn’t criticising him. Any debate should have a proper argument and counter arguments. That’s all which happened there.

2 Likes

Cleaning up the permissions required by Ratio, here’s the result.

On top of that the next version will also have a Permission Manager which will explain in detail what each permissions is for.

15 Likes

But other permissions also needed right. Sms, calendar for blloc desk. If it’s not there how I can enable and disable it

No they’re not needed for now.

4 Likes

so how tree will work without those permission or blloc desk syncing ?

1 Like

We’ll add the permissions when these features are released. We just don’t want useless permissions that are here because of old versions of Ratio for the Zero18.

5 Likes

But my question is these permission are directly written into android settings while installing via bllocdesk. do i need to install it again to remove all these permission or just turning off in system settings would be enough ?

Turning them off is enough. Installing again won’t change anything as we didn’t yet release the version that requires less permissions.

6 Likes

Thank you for personally taking out time to respond to user queries. Really appreciate the gesture.

I have 3 broad queries now:

1. What data is sent from the device back to Blloc? E.g. product analytics, usage stats, telemetry etc.

2. I read that Ratio Pro uses android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS (that Ratio Lite can’t use). This is because Google specifically mentions that -->
    "Allows an application to read or write the secure system settings.
    Not for use by third-party applications."

So, this setting isn’t supposed to be used by 3rd party apps like Blloc Ratio. Why does Blloc need this sensitive setting?

1. Are there any other sensitive setting that Blloc requires? By sensitive, I mean settings that used unwisely may compromise user data.
3 Likes

For the first question, there is no data has been going out of device. As you can see few posts from Adham earlier in this same thread there is one image talks about privacy and security. That will be updated soon to the new site of blloc.

For 2nd question, when installing via bllocdesk it is mentioned like “Needed for locking apps and set distracting apps in graysacle”

This what I know so for. But for your query best understanding, admins will reply.

1. Anonymous analytics without any personal data, just basic app usage events that allow us to know the number of active users etc. Also when there’s a crash or an error, an error report is sent to Sentry, anonymously as well.

2. This permission unfortunately is needed for putting the screen in greyscale, it uses a developer setting and it’s the only way a third party app can do that.
    It’s also needed to restart the services that handle color mode, app lock (whenever you change app, Ratio needs to perform actions to lock it if it’s needed or to put it in greyscale/in color). These services sometimes get killed in the background by the OS so Ratio needs to restart them or these features just wouldn’t work consistently.

3. You’ll find below screenshots of the permissions manager in the upcoming version that lists exactly what permissions are used and what for. And these permissions can be disabled by the user if they’re unwanted.

10 Likes

Thank you olivier for detailed explanation. Nice to see its coming in next update ratio v3.2.2.

I am glad that blloc is very transparent in security and privacy settings. :+1:

And thanks for showing some glimpse of next update. I hope it will amaze me like June 1st update

3 Likes

Thank you for this @olivier! Excited for the next update!

Yea. Next update coming tomorrow. :blush:

2 Likes

Patience :slight_smile:. It’ll come and it’ll be great!

3 Likes

This new update coming today is more of bug fix only as I can see from ratio trello board. Any new features??

After a month long wait and receiving only bug fix is little disappointing. Hope new features will hit soon to beta testers.

Bug fixes are still better…at this point

1 Like

Ironing out the bugs to improve the overall user experience is important in lieu of releasing new features. We all will wait patiently for the future updates.

1 Like

Personally, bug fixes are more important than new features at this point. Don’t get me wrong, new features are always welcome but a launcher that is bug-free, stable, and smooth is much more like it.

3 Likes

Hello guys,
Let us make this thread for discussion only rather than pulling each others leg. Everyone want bug free and feature reach launcher. Even dev is trying to deliver all the feature they planned to include in this launcher, if its (in any way) possible for them they will implement everything in this build itself. But they are doing great and trying their best to deliver what they promised and their transparency tells everything. Hope you guys understand. So lets us make thread informative for new user and help dev to implement features early by reporting bugs requesting feature in respective thread.
Thank you.

4 Likes